Friday 11 October 2013

DIY Levi shorts two ways

I don't know if other people have a similar problem, but I really struggle finding shorts that suit me! I really like high-waisted styles, but at the same time I like them to be a decent length. And in the shops currently it seems that you can only have one or the other; the high-waisted ones show your bum cheeks and the modest length ones are not flattering for those love handles. 
Its the same with the ripped shorts too.. They never have the perfect rips.
Writing this, I realise I'm probably being OCD, but why is it so hard to find the perfect pair of shorts!
While attempting to solve this issue, I went on a trip to Vinnies (but I'm sure every op-shop would have them), and picked up two pairs of old fashioned Levi jeans. I then spent the day cutting and bleaching them

Bleached:
With this pair, I cut them off to my desired length, and then soaked them in a tub of bleach. I rotated them at 5 minute intervals to make sure the colour was consistant. Also remember if you're doing this, they will look darker when wet - so don't wait until the colour looks perfect to stop bleaching. Also, they will continue to lose colour when you remove them - to solve this, you can soak them in a bucket of vinegar. Once they were dried I frayed the bottoms by pulling the threads loose.

Original colour and cuffed:
These ones were pretty simple, just cut them to the desired length (a bit longer to leave room for the cuff), and then frayed them a bit and folded over the edges!

(I know the cuffs here aren't even but thats just my bad folding skills!)
What do you guys think of them? And which ones do you prefer?
I'd love to hear of different ways you've customised your old clothes, or someone elses!
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment